This study clarifies the establishing processes by focusing on local towns. The roofed walkways were called Din-a-ka were established in 1900 by the Taiwan Building Regulation, which was an architectural regulation implemented under Japanese control. This regulation caused the spread of shop-houses with Din-a-ka. The townscapes were then constructed in the inner cities, one after another. On the other hand, Din-a-ka become widespread in local towns, following which the city planning committee was organized by the Government-General of Taiwan. City improvement projects were carried out across the entire island from 1910 onward. There was the change in a process of a spread. The project of city improvement on the early stage limited to establishing and extending of specific streets. But after around 1931, the planning of city improvement was required a plan and a system of sustained urban planning. Then the series of shop-houses constructed by the brick structure took place the reinforced concrete. According to morphological research of some representative examples, there were instances of voluntary town development by the administration and the inhabitants. Initially there were improvements in the construction of main streets within the city improvement projects, and the reconstruction of shop-houses along these streets. As time passed, projects were developed throughout the region. At that time, a mutual support organization was formed due to the necessity for backup reconstruction expenses. The characteristics of the town development were strengthened.