This study examines historical records of the planning and construction process of settler’s houses in Shinko nojo of Ibaraki Prefecture. These records are available in the Kogakuin University Library and the Ibaraki Prefectural Museum of History. Furthermore, this study elucidates the ideas of the designers Wajiro Kon and Yoshitaro Takeuchi, and their position as an initiative to improve rural housing.
Based on a model farm construction plan, Ibaraki Prefecture entrusted the designing of settler’s houses in its Shinko nojo to Wajiro Kon, a leading expert in rural housing improvement, who designed them in collaboration with his apprentice Yoshitaro Takeuchi. At the request of Ibaraki Prefecture, Kon and Takeuchi set up a reception cum dining room and an indoor workplace on the Doma and then arranged chairs, tables, and cupboards for convenience. The use of multiple glass windows and partitions between the dining area and the workplace further improved the sanitation.
The original design plan is based on “Reference Figure 7” of “The Farmer and Agricultural Building Design Reference Chart ” designed by Kon in 1927, and is the only rural housing implementation project for Takeuchi and Kow before the war. Kon and Takeuchi adopted a design that takes versatility into consideration, in line with the way of housing in a cultivated land, where constant changes in farm management and family composition are expected. This method was adopted by the Agricultural Land Development Agency where Takeuchi was involved at the time of the second war.