2003 年 38 巻 4 号 p. 188-192
Scientific knowledge of the safety of BSE-affected cattle was reviewed indicating the relative concentrations of pathogenic prion in various tissues such as the brain, spinal cord, ileum, eye and ganglion. Up-to-date studies on the safety of beef, fat, milk and gelatin were also reviewed clarifying safe and risky materials.
The following inspections are considered necessary to prevent the contamination of safe foods by specified risk materials (SRMs) of affected animals:
1) Evaluation of the methods used for the removal of spinal cord.
2) Decontamination methods of knives, saws, containers, etc.
3) Safe separation of SRMs from consumable materials.
4) Removal methods of backbone and other bones.
5) Safe disposal methods of BSE-positive animals.
6) HACCP data at the meat-processing plants, etc.