1940 Volume 15 Issue 9 Pages 315-321
(1) The gelation times of tung oil catalysed by iodine in various organic solvents were measured.
(2) The relation between gelation time t, concentration of tung oil x and amount of iodine z is expressed by the formula
(3) In the solution having violet tint, iodine has a strong gelation accelerating action, but in the yellowish brown solution the accelerating action of iodine is very weak.
(4) Organic acids and nitrobenzene are exceptions of the above fact (3) and in spite of yellowish brown tint, have strong gelation accelerating action.
(5) In the iodine solutions of mixed solvents the gelation time increases with the increase of yellowish tint.
(6) Difference in catalytic action of iodine solutions is considered to be due to the difference of molecular state of iodine in the solution. Generally solvated solution of iodine has poor catalytic action.
(7) Generally iodine in the solvent having high dielectric constant shows strong gelation accelerating action.
This article cannot obtain the latest cited-by information.