1989 年 1990 巻 22 号 p. 147-167
The feudal clan Hagi-han or Choshu-han (正式名称萩藩, 俗称長州藩), Yamaguchi prefecture at present, which commanded the western entrances to the Inland Sea, played the greatest role in the Meiji Restoration. The clan school Meirinkan was founded in 1718 at Hagi. It reformed its western studies in the attached institute to set up Yamaguchi Meirinkan independently, while there was establised the naval academy Kaigungakko at Mitajiri in 1865. The Institute for the western studies in Hagi Meirinkan was affiliated to Kaigungakko. Thus both lineage of Meirinkan developed, after the realization of the Restoration, into kojogakusha and Hajoakusha in 1874. Later the former was succeeded to Yamaguchi University and the latter to Hagi Senior High School from which the prefectural Hagi Library was separated in 1951.
English-American textbooks various in kind, prevailed there since the era of Meiji, have been comprised in each institutional library, after they were read through. Webster's dictionaries predominated over those original books and advanced the studies of English. To make up the bibliographies of Webster's dictionaries carried out in Hagi Senior High School is the author's chief concern of this essay. They approximately consist of 38 copies introduced between the 1860's and the 1910's, including An American Dictionary of the English Language unabridged or abridged, and what not. They preserve the history of the progress of English studies in the Choshu clan schools and show us a visual point of the study, making one of the paragraphs of “Foundation researches in the growth of English studies, education, textbooks, teachers in Japan” by the author.