The aim of this research is to elucidate the background and circumstances of the conversion of the Akita (Kubota) Castle site to a park in modern times. The national government determined the Akita (Kubota) castle site to be essential in 1873. It was administered by the War Ministry, but the land was leased to local residents as farmland or pasturage. In 1890 the site was sold to the Satake family, descendants of the formal feudal lord, who entrusted its administration to the city of Akita. The city allocated income from leasing the grounds, moat, etc., for park improvement and maintenance. Akita Prefecture selected the castle site as a suitable location for rebuilding Shōkonsha, a Shinto shrine dedicated to the spirits of the war dead, that had been destroyed by fire. The prefecture planned to relocate Shōkonsha to the castle site and make it a prefectural park. The prefecture considered it problematic for the city of Akita to administer privately owned land, so the city canceled the administrative agreement in 1896. Afterwards, the prefecture purchased the central portion of the site from the Satake family, and the remainder was leased as a public park.