A 40-year-old Japanese man was brought to our hospital presenting with a deterioration of consciousness and respiratory failure after being bitten by an imported snake. On admission, he was in a deep coma with generalized paralysis. Because of his difficulty in breathing, he was intubated orally and controlled mechanical ventilation was started. To identify the snake, we obtained a photocopy of the snake and transferred it to the Japan Snake Institute via E-mail. The snake was identified as Bungarus candidus, and the antivenom was transferred to our hospital by a police car. The antivenom was given 16 hours after the bite, and neostigmine was administered for 10 days. The patient recovered from the respiratory paralysis six days after admission. His muscle weakness gradually improved, and he was discharged from hospital on the 44th hospital day. He continues to complain of fatigue almost one year after the incident.