1989 Volume 35 Issue 1 Pages 236-241
Clinical evaluation and effectiveness of the preprosthetic surgery are retrospectively studied based upon operative experiences on 111 cases at the authors' clinics during the past 10 years.
The results are as follows:
1. The number of patients showed a tendency to increase every year, the ratio between male and female was 1:1.6, and the age ranged from 30 to 80 years with an average of 64.1 years of age.
2. Most cases were diagnosed as alveolar atrophy of the mandible and the surgical procedure was mostly lowering the floor of the mouth and vestibuloplasty with skin grafting.
3. Selective cases of total alveolar plasty were successfuly done followed by ridge augmentation with hydroxylapatite.
4. Postoperative questionaire revealed that about 92% of patients were satisfied with the surgical result.
5. The importance of selection of surgical procedures and proper postoperative prosthetic care are emphasized.