Clinicostatistical observation was made into 34 cases of mandibular condylar fracture in children under 15 years by reviewing recent results of treatment given at our hospital during the past 16 years, from April 1971 to March 1987. Results obtained were as follows:
1. Fractures to the condyle were diagnosed in 58.6% of 58 cases of childhood mandibular fractures.
2. Of 34 cases, 26 cases showed fractures to the condayle combined with other fractures of the mandible.
3. Closed reduction was performed in 26 cases.
4. Open reduction was performed in 8 cases and condylar process was performed in only 1 case which showed combined subcondylar and other mandibular fractures.
5. Long-term follow-up study gave the following results:
1) Disturbances were found to bear some relation to age.
2) Open reduction for condylar process fracture was performed in 1 case, showing good prognosis.
3) There was no obvious difference in the clinical course between closed and open reduction.
4) Temporo-mandibular movement and range of movement were satisfactorily restored, but in most cases deformity of the condylar process remained.
5) 3 cases with growth disturbance of the mandible were observed.