1936 Volume 1936 Issue 3 Pages 25-29_2
Thirty years ago, some fossil remains of an elephant were unearthed from a Pleistocene deposit at Tenjinbayashi, on the right bank of the Shichinohe-gawa, near the entrance to the town of Shichinohe, Kamikita-gun, Aomori prefecture. Recently the senior writer was informed of this excavation by Mr. Yaichiro YAMAGUCHI, and received two photographs of these fossil remains and of the locality of the excavation from Mr. Kenji ARAKAWA, instructor at the Aomori Normal School. He later learned that the fossil specimens are now preserved at the Tokyo Agricultural College through the efforts of Mr. Shuzo ISHIDA, one of its professors. They consist of a complete right lower cheek-tooth, many fragments of the next cheek-tooth (unworn), an almost complete right incisor tooth, a fragment of a right mandible, and a left ulna together with many fragments of bones that had belonged to the same animal. The senior writer then reported the occurrence of these remains, together with the description of a new species Palaeoloxodon aomoriensis TOKUNAGA and TAKAI, in the Journal of Geography, published by the Tokyo Geographical Society.
According to Mr. Kinji KANEHARA, this Pleistocene deposit, which is developed extensively on the environs of, and along the eastern part of the town of Shichinohe, consists chiefly of alternations of grayish coloured clay and sand, and gravel, intercalated with lenses of dacitic pumice, and covered with volcanic detritus from Mts. Hakkoda and Iwaki. In the western part of Yamadate near the town of Shichinohe, basal conglomerate nearly one meter thick covers the Tertiary formation unconformably. The pebbles of the conglomerate bed consist of liparite, two-pyroxene andesite, quarzite, and slate. At Saiichida and Sakainosawa there is a bed of Ostrea gigas THUMBERG. Mr. Junzo ÔHINATA reported Ostrea demelamellosa LISCHKE from the neighbourhood of Furumaki. Judging from the fossil remains of the elephant and the topography of the region, the geological age of the deposit' of this district may be Upper Pleistocene.
Acknowledgement and thanks are due to Messrs. S. ISHIDA and K. ARAKAWA for their courtesy in permitting the writers to study the collection and the photographs, as also to Mr. Y. YAMAGUCHI for having kindly informed us of the excavation. The writers have the further pleasure of expressing here their thanks to Mr. K. KANEHARA for his geological investigation and to Mr. H. KUNO for his determination of the volcanic rocks.