2009 Volume 95 Issue 6 Pages 460-466
In this study, the elastic modulus of coke microscopic textures is measured with a nano-indentation method to investigate the effect of solution loss reaction on the mechanical properties of coke matrices. In addition, elemental analysis by means of SEM-EDS is carried out to reveal the effect of solution loss reaction on degradation of coke elastic modulus.
The results are summarized as follows:
(1) The elastic moduli of active components and inerts decreased with an increase in conversion.
(2) The nano-scale pore increased with an increase in conversion.
(3) A decrease in elastic modulus under the condition that reaction rate is a rate controlling step is greater than that under the condition that either reaction rate or mass transfer is a rate controlling step in active components.
(4) The results of SEM-EDS show that there are the catalytic mineral matters in fragmentary texture.
(5) A decreasing in elastic modulus of inerts is greater than that of active components because ashes in inerts work as the catalysts of solution loss reaction.