Health level in Shita-machi area of Tokyo was studied by using aggregate data concerning death and disease. Indicators concerning residential environment and socioeconomic condition were also analyzed for conjecture of area situation about health supporting environment and personal skill level . The Shita-machi area is relatively low in health indicators employed in the present study in comparison with Yamanote and Musashino area, and area of Chiba Prefecture near the Shita-machi area. It was also pointed out that health level of the Shita-machi area was below the average level of the whole country whereas socioeconomic levels were higher in the Shita-machi area compared to the average level of the whole country .
A survey on all patients with intractable diseases was conducted in a local administrative region (municipal region) for the purpose of understanding what percentage of patients receiving financial aid for treatment with intractable diseases was covered under the financial aid for treatment for intractable diseases and for gathering information on the actual medical situation of the beneficiaries of this system. The results of this survey are summarized as follows; 1) The medical costs of 66.5% of the 209 patients were covered under the medical assistance system for intractable diseases (Beneficiary Group), while the medical costs of the remaining 33.5% of the patients were not (Non-beneficiary Group). 2) As a result of the assessment of characteristics of both the Beneficiary Group and Non-beneficiary Group, there were differences between the groups with regard to health problems, needs for public health service, medical care or welfare. The patients in the Beneficiary Group were likely to be affected by shorter period of diseases and more than half of them could lead maintain almost normal lives. The patients in the Non-beneficiary Group were likely to be affected by the diseases for a longer period and more than half of them required daily assistance by other people or mechanical ventilation and had needs for public health service, medical care or welfare. 3) Today, the number of patients with intractable diseases is grasped only through applications for various medical assistance systems by administrative institution. The results of this survey suggest that the collection of such information by one administrative institution is possible for only two-thirds of the patients with intractable diseases. These results suggest that cooperation among public health service institutions, medical institutions and welfare institutions is essential for tracking down the non-beneficiaries of the medical assistance system for intractable diseases, which is requried for the collection of accurate information on patients with intractable diseases.
In order to create a database for developing an appropriate health policy for aged people in Korea, particularly for those living in rural farming communities, the present study compared health status and disease pattern among aged Koreans residing in Korean farming villages and the descendants of Koreans who migrated to China more than one hundred years age. The subjects in this study were 467 Koreans in 10 Korean farming villages northeast of Seoul and 223 Korean migrants in 2 villages in the Korean Autonomous Region in northeast China. All of them were 60 years old or over in age . The same investigation team interviewed the subjects of both groups in July 1995. In addition, clinical examination was conducted in order to determine the prevalence of three diseases: diabetes mellitus, hypertension and anemia. The results were compared between the two groups . The interview survey revealed that the prevalence of the disorders during the 2 weeks prior to the investigation was higher among both male and female subjects of Korean migrants. A comparison of the disease pattern showed higher incidences of cancer, accidental injuries and poisoning due to agricultural chemicals among Koreans of rural farming villages, whereas cerebrovascular disorders and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases were more common among Korean migrants . Clinical examination demonstrated a higher prevalences of diabetes among villagers in Korea whereas the prevalences of hypertension and anemia were higher among Korean migrants. In rural Korea, the diseases related to life style, were not common. On the other hand, diseases such as hypertension and anemia, which were related to malnutrition, low income, and bad hygiene, were still prevalent among Korean migrants but rarely occur among Korean villagers.