The Japanese-style garden in question was created after the Return of Lands and People to the Emperor (1869) by the house of Miyakonojo Shimazu, the former lord of Miyakonojo, in 1880 in the Hayasuzu area of Miyakonojo city, Miyazaki prefecture alongside the residence. The house of Miyakonojo Shimazu eventually sold both the residence and the garden to the city of Miyakonojo who repaired the garden and its surroundings, and since March 2010 the area has been open to public as a public facility. The current study looked into the state of the garden, its users and uses through the Meiji to Showa periods, based chiefly on the “Journal of the House of Miyakonojo Shimazu” and old photographs. The study revealed the personnel involved in creating the garden initially as well as the planting plan. Additionally, it became clear that the garden was frequented by numerous spectators, and also that it was rented out for various events such as “poem competitions,” “ladies’ new year parties” and “martial arts training.” These findings demonstrate the garden’s usage characteristics which, though a private residence of a Baron, due to his willingness to contribute to the local communities as the former lord, it was widely utilized by the local residents from the upper class to the working class.