Public Observatories in the Tokyo Area were mostly established in the 1990s for the first time in history. There are currently 9 such observatories, and they are the subjects of this paper. The value of public observatory and panoramic view has not been discussed deeply from academic perspectives, although it is conceivable. The purpose of this study is to clarify the use of spaces and views in public observatories included in highrise buildings. This study was conducted from following five perspectives. 1.Frequency of use and numbers of users. 2.Use policy of administrator. 3.Items of use and its conditions. 4.Relationship between administrator and relevant agencies. 5.Outcome and challenges of the use.
1. Continuation of use of public observatory from opening is important fact .
2. It was clarified that policy of administrator and direction about use is different each observatory from hearing. As number of public observatory visitors, direction of each observatory is different.
3. It was cleared that items of use is various, mainly use and relaxation, information and exhibition, education, sightseeing, city creation by scenery, valuation of scenery, etc.
4. It was cleared that Relation of each section about use of observatory is not cooperated and not clear except for one observatory, HOKU-TOPIA observatory.
5. From condition of use, it was cleared that 9 observatories have merits, demerits and influence effects. By space volume Merit and demerit are made. And it was cleared that discovery of new city scene and gathering by panoramic scene are made.
From these point of view about study of the use, it will be able to point out that concept of public observatories was not discussed enough from opening, and the use was done. It made groping condition about use of public observatories. Public observatories and panoramic scenes have been not recognized deeply as precious city property. And it will be able to point out that subject about the use of public observatories is like this. ① Clear direction or policy about use of public observatories is important as precious city property. ② Public opinion and will of people should be reflected positively about direction of use. ③ Importance of recognition about value of public observatories and panoramic scenes as precious city property.