The purpose of this study was to clarify the individual difference of participants in “Wooden Craftsmanship Activity (WCA)” based of the questionnaire to the university students. There are few study related for wooden craftsmanship including design education that searching the individual difference of each group which clarifying the effect of the activity. In this study, the influence from architectural design education through field research, planning, design, production, presentation, contribution to the local and activity of WCA which is related environment education is focused.
WCA activity including design education developed as environment education and contributing to the local in Mountain Villages, Miyama-cho Nantan City, Kyoto. However, the education effect is different depends of the participants, the choice of the best education method is expected. And identification of individual difference is required for that.
Following is the finding through the research.
1) Based on the questionnaire about the effect of participating WCA, 3 components are extracted. It is “Contribution to the Local”, “Forest conservation”, and “wooden craftsmanship”. And participants are clarified into 4 group as “Local contribution”, “Craftsmanship”, “The middle”, and “Environment conservation”.
2) The students in the group of Contribution to the local is heighten the sense of contribution to the local and environment conservation based of the various experience with positive attitude. They seize their own experience and actual feeling effect to the sense of environment conservation and action.
3) The students in the group of design is tend to seize the area objectively. They feel communication with locals such as homestay as the way for product design include filed research and hearing reserch. It is possible to raise their forest conservation sense through the production program themed sustainable design.
4) The students in the group of middle is deepen the though and showing the motivation through the real size production activity. However, the many of them is modest and taking the middle way.
5) The students in the group of environment conservation may can not feel the effect because of the excessive work which is not the reason to participate to the WCA activity. They may require the program of the forest conservation and timber inderstry. And they seize the conversation with local people and friends give influence to the environment conservation and action.
In this study, we search the identification of the participants based on the clarification of the effect of WCA. It is reveled that heighten the educational effect of the WCA the care for the various aspects are required. This study targeted the limited number of participants, but as the study related to the wooden craftmanship including design education it can be said to get some results. The comparison with the other WCA and the research with the local residents is an issue in the future.