1971 Volume 20 Issue 3 Pages 128-133
Pesticides contributed much toward the increase of the agricultural production.However, they also destroyed the ecological balance of the nature.We should rather say that their evil influence was even greater than their benefit. Above all we have to watch keenly their acute and chronic influences on the human body.
Case: A farmer 60 years old
Main Complaints: Ache in the back of the head, general weariness and somnolence
Course: The patient sterilized persimmon trees for about one hour on July 10th, 1969 by endrin solution (10cc endrin solved in 18e water) with incomplete clothing. About 22 hours later, he consulted a doctor on the main complaints. He was suspected of endrin poisoning and hospitalized. After the hospitalization, he had somnolence, muscular fibrillation, irritation, nausea and vomi tting and arrhythmia. These symptoms were intense for about a week, and then gradually cured.He was completely recovered and left the hospital after 45 sick days.
This case was different from most of the past cases in the following point s:
1) Delayed appearance of simptoms (22 hours)
2) No clonic and tonic spasm
3) The hastened precipitation of blood (14 sick days)
5) Instability of patellar reflection and pathological reflection in the hamstring
6) Disorder in the liver funct ion (G. P. T. 85 units, 14 sick days)