Journal of Neuroendovascular Therapy
Online ISSN : 2186-2494
Print ISSN : 1882-4072
ISSN-L : 1882-4072
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Endovascular Treatment for Middle Cerebral Artery Aneurysms: Single-Center Experience and Review of Literatures
Noriyuki KijimaShimpei MiuraEisaku TeradaRyota NakagawaTetsuro TachiKoki MurakamiYoshiko OkitaYonehiro KanemuraShin NakajimaToshiyuki Fujinaka
Author information
JOURNALS OPEN ACCESS

2021 Volume 15 Issue 4 Pages 213-219

Details
Abstract

Objective: The efficacy of endovascular treatment for middle cerebral artery (MCA) aneurysms remains controversial. However, recent studies have reported the safety of endovascular treatment for MCA aneurysms. In this study, we studied the efficacy and clinical outcomes of endovascular treatment for MCA aneurysms in our hospital and the morphology and anatomy of MCA aneurysms that were suitable for endovascular treatment.

Methods: We retrospectively analyzed 26 cases of MCA aneurysms which had undergone endovascular treatment at our institution between January 2015 and October 2018. We studied sizes and shapes of the aneurysms, clinical and angiographical outcomes one year after the treatment, and complications in these 26 patients. We also compared the differences in these parameters of the 26 patients with those of 61 other patients who were treated with clipping during the same period.

Results: The median aneurysm size was 6.1 mm (1.8–29.9 mm), with the shapes of the aneurysms irregular in 8, and round in the other 18 cases. Four cases (15.4%) had ruptured aneurysms. All aneurysms were treated with assist techniques; 8 (30.8%) were treated by stent-assisted technique and 18 (69.2%) were treated by balloon-assisted technique and endovascular treatment was successfully performed in all (100%) cases. While the aneurysms were completely obliterated in 22 of them (84.6%), the remaining 4 cases (15.4%) had neck remnants. We observed periprocedural complications in 5 of the 26 (19.2%) aneurysms, all of which were transient and completely recovered during the follow-up period. The efficacy and complication rates were not different from the MCA aneurysms treated with clipping. All MCA aneurysms arising from the M1 trunk were treated with endovascular treatment, and those with a round shape with the axis not deviating from M1 were also treated with endovascular treatment.

Conclusion: Endovascular treatment for MCA aneurysms is safe and effective together with adjunctive techniques such as balloon-assisted technique or stent-assisted technique. Thus, M1 trunk aneurysms and MCA bifurcation aneurysms with a round shape along the same axis of MCA may be good indications for endovascular treatment. However, long-term clinical and angiographical outcomes remain unknown. Thus, further studies are needed to address the existing limitations.

Information related to the author
© 2021 The Japanese Society for Neuroendovascular Therapy

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons [Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International] license.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Previous article Next article
feedback
Top