2019 Volume 10 Pages 10-17
A purpose of this paper is to clarify the architectural characteristics of Kitakata-gu shrine and Yakushi-do in Yatsushiro City, Kumamoto. They come from Jogan-ji Temple that the Sagara family founded in 1513. Originally Kitakata-gu shrine is Katanogawa Myouken-sha shrine attached to the temple. Yakushi-do was founded again instead of the temple by the villager in 1694. The current building of the Yakushi-do was built in 1820. Two buildings continue standing on the same site to the present time after the time of Separation of Shinto and Buddhism.