1983 Volume 1 Issue 2 Pages 267-271
The welding distortion of electron beam welding is smaller than conventional arc welding processes and the behavior of the welding distortion by the multipass welding is different from the arc welding because of its deep penetration characteristics.
We report the results of some measurements on transverse shrinkage and angular distortion and discuss them in this paper.
The results obtained in this study are as follows;
1) The transverse shrinkage of the partial penetration was smaller than the full penetration.
2) The transverse shrinkage of electron beam welding was in proportion to the welding heat input per unit.joint area.
3) The angular distortion of electron beam welding was inversely as the plate thickness.
4) The transverse shrinkage of the mutipass welding was proportinal to the number of passes.
5) The volume of reinforcement by electron beam welding was closely connected with the transverse shrinkage.