1988 Volume 6 Issue 4 Pages 505-509
Cutting of FRP by plasma jet was studied for dismantling the used FRP boats. The plasma jet cutting conditions such as plasma gas composition, gas flow rate, current, cutting speed and so on were cleared to estimate the cutting ability of FRP. The burning of resin was prevented and the narrow and parallel kerf was achieved by the wet cutting method.
The main results obtained are as follows.
1) The cutting ability was lowered with increasing of the glass content in FRP.
2) The cutting ability was affected with the gas composition and the gas flow rate. The maxìmum cutting was performed by the mixed gas of Ar+30%H2.
3) The cutting ability of FRP was lower than mild steel.
4) The recomended ratio of nozzle length and nozzle diameter was 3-4 in the plasma jet cutting compared with about 2 in the plasma arc cutting.
5) By the wet cutting method, the burning of resin was prevented and the narrow and parallel kerf was obtained.
6) The plasma cutting was able to apply to the dismantling of the used FRP boats.