1974 Volume 60 Issue 7 Pages 868-874
This paper deals with an automatic casting system for a slab caster developed in Wakayama and Kashima Works of Sumitomo Metals Industries Co. Ltd. This automatic casting system is composed of two subsystems described below;
(1) automatic controlling system of the slide gate nozzle for a ladle to keep the molten metal weight in the tundish constant.
(2) automatic controlling system of the slide gate nozzle for a tundish to keep the molten metal level in the mold constant.
This system was completed in October in 1973 after precise analyses and improvements mentioned in the text. Since then, it has resulted in good effects on the operation and the quality as follows;
(1) deviation of the molten metal weight in the tundish can be controlled within 1.0 ton.
(2) deviation of the molten metal level in the mold can be controlled within 5 mm.
(3) stabilized molten metal level in the mold brings better surface quality of a cast slab.
(4) number of operators is reduced.