IEEJ Transactions on Fundamentals and Materials
Online ISSN : 1347-5533
Print ISSN : 0385-4205
ISSN-L : 0385-4205
Paper
Fundamental Theories on a Combined Energy Cycle of Electrostatic Induction Hydrogen Electrolytic Cell and Fuel Cell to Produce Fully Sustainable Hydrogen Energy
Katsutoshi Ono
Author information
JOURNALS RESTRICTED ACCESS

2013 Volume 133 Issue 12 Pages 615-621

Details
Abstract

A hydrogen electrolyzer for decomposition of chemically stable compound H2O is essentially an electronic device that uses manly electrostatic-to-chemical energy conversion to produce a stoichiometric H2+1/2O2 fuel. To achieve a breakthrough in the practical hydrogen electrolytic cell, we demonstrate the electrostatic induction potential superposed electrolyzer. This system works on the mechanism in which, on the theoretical base, power used is 20% of the total electrical energy required, while the remaining 80% can be provided by the electrostatic energy free of power. Because H2O is placed in its decomposition state in the electrostatic field where no current flows, the decomposition voltage is identified as a barrier potential that electrolytic current must overcome by expending the major part of the total system power. The potential superposition method for supplying energy to the cell was found to avoid the barrier potential effect within the laws of thermodynamics. Combining a fuel cell for producing power from pure H2 and O2 of stoichiometric ratio with this type of hydrogen electrolytic cell in a closed energy cycle can achieve a highly positive H2 balance.

Information related to the author
© 2013 by the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan
Previous article Next article
feedback
Top