1952 Volume 18 Issue 5-6 Pages 112-130,A11
this report results of biometrical survey of physique in the following aspects is presented; length of upper limb, length of upper arm, length of forearm, length of hand, girth of upper arm, girth of forearm, leg length, length of thigh, length of tibia, length of foot, girth of thigh, girth of calf. The results are shown in separate tables 1-12.
1) In the average, the length of upper limb, length of hand, leg length, length of tibia, length of foot of Koreans are somewhat larger than those of the Japanese. Length of upper arm, length of forearm, girth of forearm, length of thigh, and girth of thigh are smaller than those of the Japanese. The girth of upper arm and girth of calf are larger in males whereas smaller in females than those of the Japanese.
2) The relative leg length in youth is smaller in males than in females, but this difference gradually diminshes with age and above 9 years it becomes larger in males than in females.
SUMMARY OF THREE CONSECUTIVE REPORTS The author made a biometrical survey of physique of healthy Koreans, from the new-born to the old age (7132 males and 5030 females totaling 12, 162), and studied standards of growth and biometrical indices in the following aspects: height, weight, span of arms, horizontal girth of head, maximum glabello-occipital length, maximum width of head, maximum interzygomatic breadth, girth of chest, antero-posterior diameter of chest, transverse diameter of chest, sitting height, breadth of shoulders, distance between iliac tubercles, girth of waist, length of upper limb, length of forearm, length of hand, girth of upper arm, girth of forearm, leg length, length of thigh, length of tibia, length of foot, girth of thigh and girth of calf. These data are compared with those of Europeans and Japanese. Discussions on each aspect that were stated in Reports I, II, and III, are not repeated here. The following is confined to the general summary.
1. Age of completion of growth is showed in the accompanying table I. Table I.
2. The age at which the curves of growth for males and for females cross each other is shown in the accompanying table II.
The girth of chest, ratio of chest diameters, antero-posterior diameter of chest, transverse diameter of maximum glabello-occipital length, interzygomatic breadth, breadth of shoulders, leg length, girth of upper arm, girth of forearm, length of forearm are larger at all ages in males than in females.
3. The results in adult-newborn ratio of growth in some measurements are shown in table III.
4. These results in Koreans were compared with the results in Japanese and European reported by other authors; and the following were pointed out. The difference between Koreans and Japanese in physique and its growth is much smaller than that between Koreans and Europeans.