J-STAGE Home  >  Publications - Top  > Bibliographic Information

Journal of Veterinary Medical Science
Vol. 67 (2005) No. 11 November P 1127-1131

Language:

http://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.67.1127

FULL PAPER

A cDNA library was constructed from salivary glands of partially-fed adult female Haemaphysalis longicornis (hard tick). Randomly selected clones were sequenced and a total of 633 sequences were analyzed by bioinformatic programs. The sequences were grouped into 213 clusters, with each cluster being considered to be composed of mRNAs derived from the same gene or closely related genes. About 36% of the mRNA sequences showed significant similarity to known proteins in the non-redundant protein database by the NCBI blastx program and appeared to be coding for functional predicted proteins, whereas the remaining 64% had no similar sequences. Two thirds of the predicted proteins were annotated as basic cellular proteins (housekeeping proteins). Among the functional predicted protein sequences, other than the housekeeping proteins, several protease inhibitors including anticoagulants, two metalloproteases and a potential immunosuppressive protein could be identified. These proteins may play important roles during tick feeding and could be novel anti-tick vaccine candidates.

Copyright © 2005 by the Japanese Society of Veterinary Science

Article Tools

Share this Article