1990 年 38 巻 3 号 p. 11-19
According to the author's observation, the private motorization seem to play a important role to urban sprawl. Especialy, after 1985, we can see these phenomena in the new shopping zones along the main roads in the suburban areas such as Gifu city. This phenomenon is a new type of urbanization.
Development of teaching materials of the urbanized phenomena is very important for social studies because the majority of the population lives in urban area and its neighborhood.
Therefore, in social studies, it is necessary to develop teaching materials, about urbanization.
In this report, the author tries to investigate urban sprawl from the geomorphological point of view. The author utilizes a formational model of the alluvial fan in order to make clear the mechanism of urban sprawl.
The ideal picture of this model is shown in Fig. 1.
The correlation of many factors between the author's model and urban sprawl is shown as follows:
(1) fault mountain=urban area
(2) alluvial fan=rural area
(3) fan head=nordal point between urban area and rural area
(4) main stream=main road
(5) braided streams branching off from main stream=lanes branching off from main road
(6)tractive force=urban impact
(7) characteristics of alluvial deposits=characteristics of urban sprawl
The expansion of urban sprawl are brought when:
(1) the bridge beyond the river toward rural areas is built.
(2) the interchange of the high way is constructed in rural area.
(3) the bypass between urban areas is constructed.
(4) a ticket gate at the rail way station is new built.
(5) the tunnel through into the mountain toward rural areas is constructed.
The author emphasizes the geomorphological point of view for developement of teaching materials in social studies.