Online ISSN : 1347-5231
Print ISSN : 0031-6903
ISSN-L : 0031-6903
Low Continuity Rate of Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide among Japanese Hemodialysis Patients with High Phosphate Binder Pill Burden
三星 知山田 仁志長井 一彦岡島 英雄
ジャーナル フリー

2018 年 138 巻 1 号 p. 135-139


 This prospective observational study was conducted to evaluate the continuity, efficacy, and tolerability of sucroferric oxyhydroxide (SO) among hemodialysis (HD) patients who switched to SO from sevelamer hydrochloride (SH) or bixalomer (BX). Participants were 9 HD patients in Kaetsu Hospital who had been receiving more than 9 tablets/d of SH or BX and were switched to SO 750 mg/d. All the participants were men. Over a 6-month observational period, 6 of the 9 patients (67%) discontinued SO because of adverse events, including diarrhea, atheroma, and polycythemia. Although the diarrhea and atheroma were mild, the affected patients did not wish to restart SO. On the other hand, 3 of the 9 patients (33%) continued taking SO throughout the observation period. These patients tended to have increased levels of serum calcium, hematocrit, and serum ferritin; a decreased number of phosphate binder tablets (from 21 tablets/d to 8 tablets/d); and a decreased dosage of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents. Serum phosphate levels tended to decrease in continuers, but tended to increase in discontinuers. It may be preferable to increase the SO dosage gradually rather than switching from SH or BX all at once, and patients who switch to SO should be carefully monitored.

© 2018 The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan
前の記事 次の記事