When we examine the relationship of the governing process by the Empire of Japan with their construction activities in the area under Japanese administration，it is important for us to examine the state and the role of Japanese administration office buildings. Karafuto Prefecture, commonly known as South Sakhalin, was officially established by the Empire of Japan in 1907 after the Russo-Japanese War. In this study, we focus on the headquarter buildings of the Karafuto Agency in Toyohara, presently Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Sakhalin Oblast (Prefecture), Russian Federation.
The drawings included in the official documents of the Karafuto Agency owned by the Archives of Hokkaido were listed and scanned. Most of these drawings, 48 in total, have not had previous references. These drawings and documents made it possible for us to examine the overview of the headquarter buildings of the Karafuto Agency in Toyohara.
Before the conflagration in 1942, this headquarters of the Karafuto Agency consisted of several buildings: the two-storied main building (including the old wooden building, the new reinforced concrete annex, and the old reinforced concrete annex), the two-storied old wooden annex, the two-storied new wooden annex (including the new wing and the temporary wing), some storehouses, and other small buildings. The Room names or roles in these buildings were also identified by using some drawings. The construction periods of each building were roughly estimated by several drawings and documents. There is a possibility that Mr. Yasushi TAMURA, “Gishi”, chief engineer of the Karafuto Agency, planned the two-storied old wooden main building with reference to the standardized layout for the division headquarter building in the Imperial Japanese Army in the Meiji era. However, the conflagration in 1942 destroyed the two-storied old wooden main building constructed in 1907 and some small buildings.
After the conflagration in 1942, at the same site they planned a two-storied reinforced concrete new headquarter building with its basement, which was formed in an inverted m-shape. However, practically, because of the lack of Japanese governmental budget they constructed only the east part of this building: the front entrance part, one-storied north wing with the basement, two-storied main part with the basement, and two-storied east wing with the basement in 1945. There is a possibility that Mr. Yoshio KAIZUKA, “Gishi”, chief engineer of the Karafuto Agency, planned this new headquarter building with reference to the typical layout for the prefectural office buildings in Japan in the Showa era. Furthermore, there is a high possibility that the existing building, which are found out at present at the same site, is part of this new headquarter building that was planned and constructed after the conflagration.
Because some drawings for old main building of Karafuto Agency constructed in 1907, some drawings for the old annex and the new annex, and some elevation drawings for the new headquarter building were not confirmed, our confirmation of these materials is our future issue.