In the long history of man this is a most important period as it is the time during which the question whether or not man will be able to continue to exist peacefully over the next hundred years will be determined. In Japan also, now is the time which will determine whether or not we can continue to maintain the prosperity we enjoy today as country. In this unstable state of the world the question of what is essential for the people of this small country lacking in natural resources to manage is probably being discussed from various points of view, political, economic, scientific, etc. From the medical point of view, I believe one of the most important topics is the problem of the aged. At the present the life span of the Japanese is nearly the greatest in the world, second only to that of Iceland. This is of course semething for which we are grateful however the average age of our nations is increasing more rapidly than anywhere in the world. In the next 50 years 1 in every 5 persons will be 65 years of age or older. This is a very serious problem. In the future Japanese society it shall be necessary that man regardless of his age should maintain his health and a reason to go on living such that he remains a contributing member of society. Based on these premises I'd like to discuss the following topics, introducing also areas of my own research. 1. Change of age-pattern of our nation 2. Until what age can man live? 3. What is longevity? 4. Measures for the maintenance of the health of aged-psycological aspects, daily life, diet, etc.
We examined effects of electro-acupuncture on the jaw opening reflex. Using rats anesthetized with pentobarbital sodium (40mg/kg: intraperitoneal) the jaw opening reflex was evoked by electrical stimulation of the dental pulp. The reflex was evoked by electro-myograms were recorded from the digastric muscle, showing di- or triphasic potentials with latency of about 6 msec. The dental pulp stimulation was preceded by single pulse electroacupuncture (EA) of the fore- or hind-leg. Facilitation followed by inhibition of the jaw opening reflex was induced by the EA. The facilitation lasted for about 20 msec and 30 msec in case of the fore- and hind-leg EAs, respectively. The following inhibition was observed up to about 300 msec and 400 msec after the fore- and hind-le2 EA9, respectively. It is worthy of note that train pulse EAs diminished inhibition of the jaw opening reflex.
I will report on therapeutic results obtained using Chinese needles to treat 118 cases of mainly pain related disease met daily in the orthopedic clinic, over the course of 1 year, 6 months beginning in July, 1979. Formerly used acupuncture therapy was supplemented with electrical acupuncture and moxa-needles. The cases included among others lumbar-vertebral hernia, sciatica, deformative spondylosis, muscle-fascia lumbago, etc., among lumbago diseases, cervical spondylosis, cervicoscapulo-brachial syndrome, neck sprain, stiff neck upon rising, and other neck disorders. periarthritis of shoulder, deformative arthralgia of the knee, deformative arthralgia of the hip and chronic articular rheumatism. Among lumbago patients results were especially good with muscle-fascial lumbago. In radicular sciatica cases improvement of Lasegue's symptom was observed in early cases, however in older cases improvement of symptoms was temporary or in some cases symptoms recurred. With deformative spondylosis there was a fair number of effective cases. Moxa-needle therapy proved especially effective. With deformative arthralgia of the knee results differed from cases to case. In cases in which X-ray examination revealed severe disorders results were temporary.
Piercing acupuncture therapy is a method by which the needle is inserted at special acupoints or reaction points and inserted to a determined depth toward another acupoint or an opposite side such that the needle is inserted subcutaneously to the object area. For example, when the needle is inserted at GB-53 passing through BL-54 toward KI-10 the needle passes through the connective tissue subcutaneously to the objective side, pecking techniques are administered and the needle withdrawn. By so doing the needle need not pierce the skin on the opposite side moreover the needle is inserted at an area at which there is no resistance to the needle point during insertion and no resistance to changes in insertion direction. We obtained excellent effects not only with periarthritis of the shoulder, elbow arthralgia, knee arthralgia and other motor system diseases using piercing acupuncture methods, but also with reflexive pain in the thoracic abdominal and lumbar regions as well as numbness of the 4 limbs, paralysis, etc.. In 56% of the cases the pain completely disappeareed with 1 treatment and was alleviated in 35%, that is, in total, 91% pain relieving results were obtained. In 16 cases pain recurred however after 2-7 insertions the pain disappeared completely. In the remaining 9% of the cases no change or impairment was reported thus therapeutic methods were changed after 1 treatment. In these experiments in addition to treatment in the area of pain we examined for tenderness between the spinous processes of the vertebrae and administered piercing acupuncture therapy. Tenderness was especially remarkable between c3-c4 and c4-c5, occuring in 70% of the cases. These were cases of periarthritis of the shoulder, inability to twist neck, epigastrium pain, thoracic pain, numbness of fingers and hand, elbow pain, etc.. Piercing acupuncture therapy is one of the special specific treatment acupuncture techniques. Frequently good results are obtained with only one insertion however used as a supplementary technique for heretofore used acupuncture therapy it will be found even more effective.
From old times, Oriental medicine has had a double layer structure comprising therapeutic medicine and constructive medicine, and therapists of Oriental medicine have believed that the best treatment for us is to take care of our health. The problem of the usual therapeutic system used only by acupuncturists is that clinical field is limited to an acupuncture clinic and the number of patients is also limited. In view of the above and with the goal of solving these problems, we devised a new magnetic acupuncture methol which is applicable to our home treatment in the early stages of disease and examined, from both the viewpoints of Oriental medicine and health medicine, whether or not this magnetic acupuncture is a useful means for systematically performing the treatments of therapeutic medicine and of constructive medicine. (1) Magnetic acupuncture treatment In this treatment, it is mainly expected that slight clincal symptom (stiffness, pain) will be relieved owing to the synergistic effect of the needle pressure stimulation and the magnetic action exercised by the needle plastered on the reaction acupuncture points of living body's skin. Compared with the intracutaneous needle which acupuncturists use as a rule, it is easier to operate. In addition, it is superior in rapidity and durability of effect to the commercially available magnetic pellet and acupuncture pellet. (2) Magnetic acupuncture The magnet is made of isotropic barium ferrite and has a diameter of 5mm and a thickness of 2.3mm. It has a shape of a disc having a small projection located at the center of the disc on the side which comes into contact with skin (N pole side). The magnetism emanating from the projection has a magnetic flux density of about 952 gauss which is approximately 1.8 times as great as the magnetic flux density of the magnetisms emanating from the flat part of the plate other than the projection. There are two kinds of magnetic acupunctures: one is gold magnetic acupuncture for PU (weak stimulation) and the other is silver magnetic acupuncture Xie (strong stimulation). (3) Clinical application In Ling-Shu (Rei Su) which is a volume in the earliest known text on acupuncture, the Nei Ching or Classic of Internal Medicine, or Da-Ging (Dai Kei), it is mentioned that the basic therapeutic point lies in the pain. On these grounds, one magnetic acupuncture disc is plastered on the point at which the response was greatest according to the acupuncture point phenomena (pressure pain, stiffness, depression, hypersensit iveness, trigger-point, etc.) and some additional magnetic acupuncture discs are appropriately plastered on the points surrounding the most sensible point, as well as on the main acupuncture points having a relation to the relief of clinical signs. A clinical test was performed in order to prove the clinical effects of magnetic acupuncture. Thus, 401 subjects who usually complained of stiffness and pain in shoulder without any objective findings were picked out and clinically tested. These subjects were classified into magnetic acupuncture therapy group (120 subjects) and its placebo therapy group (281 subjects), and the clinical test was performed to compare both the groups. Here is reported a part of the test results.