Max Hinder (1887-1963), a Swiss architect, was born in Zurich on 20th of January, 1887. In 1924, after pursuing his career as an architect in Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc., he came to Japan. He resided in Sapporo for three and half years till 1927, where he worked on numerous houses including his own, two mountain huts, two missionary schools-the Fuji (1924) and the Hokusei (1929), the St. Franciscan monastery(1925), a cathedral in Niigata (1927) and other buildings, besides proposed a project for the architectural competition for the erection of a LEAGUE OF NATIONS BUILDING AT GENEVA in 1926. He moved to Yokohama in 1927 and continued his work untill the year of 1940, when he went to Germany. During these thirteen years, he designed the Jochi University (1931) and the St. Mary Hospital (1931) at Tokyo, a cathedral in Utsunomiya (1932) and others. He closed his earthly pilgrimage in Regen, a small town of Germany, in 1963.